May 12, 2013

Vanilla Panna Cotta with Mango and Spiced Figs






There is always something sweet to eat in my house. Usually a pack of store bought vanilla ice cream or some leftover cupcakes I may have made for an order or at least some ‘mithai’ of sorts.  But if there isn’t, I turn to old favorites- recipes I have made plenty times before and am comfortable with. But I noticed that whenever I am in the ‘phase’ of updating this blog often, I find myself venturing out- trying  new things, new desserts so I can share something new here. Like this panna cotta- even though it’s been on my to-do list for ages and everyone claims it takes almost no time.


Ready to be dressed up!






Even though I knew this one was a quickie, I was surprised by how quick! It literally was done in about 5 mins. Not counting the time in the fridge of course. I added some mango pulp n cardamom seeds on some of them. These days I cannot think of anything without mangoes.  The mango season goes away too soon and I like to make the most of it. And some I topped with some spiced figs. Last week I poached some figs in a spiced syrup and the panna cotta seemed like the perfect vehicle for them. 





 Recipe for Panna Cotta via David Lebovitz


  4 cups  heavy cream
  1/2 cup  sugar
  2 teaspoons of vanilla bean paste/vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
  4 1/2 teaspoons powdered gelatin
  6 tablespoons cold water

- Heat the heavy cream and sugar in a saucepan. Once the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla bean paste/ extract. (If using a vanilla bean, scrape the seeds from the bean into the cream and add the bean pod. Cover, and let infuse for 30 minutes. Remove the bean then rewarm the mixture before continuing.)

- Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a medium-sized bowl and let stand 5 minutes for it to bloom.

- Pour the very warm Panna Cotta mixture over the gelatin and stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved.

- Divide the Panna Cotta mixture into cups or glasses, then chill them until firm, which will take at least 4 hours. 

Notes

 - For the mango pulp i just gave 1 mango a quick whizz in my blender, spooned it on top of the panna cotta and sprinkled some cardamom powder.

- For the spiced figs i used this recipe. Its basically just poaching the figs in a simple syrup with spices of your choice. I used cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and black peppercorns.


- Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First time at your place, and loved it. Love the variations of panna cotta. One of my favourits too.