I have been eyeing this tart for a while now. It has all the things that make me swoon. Strawberries, pistachios and of course butter. This was actually the first time I used browned butter and I think I may have taken it a tad too far. But no harm done, it still tasted good. And im having a slice while I type this so I can safely say it tastes as good the next day as well.
Recipe adapted from Cannelle et Vanille
Note- The pastry crust recipe I used makes enough for two 9inch tart pans so I halved it.
Scant ¾ cup powdered sugar
1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
115gms of cold butter
1egg+1 yolk, lightly beaten
- Whisk together sugar and flour.
- Rub butter into the flour mixture till course.
- Make a well in the centre and add the eggs.
- Mix well. Then knead lightly till the dough comes together.
- Flatten into a disk, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for min 2 hrs or overnight.
- Lightly flour any cold surface and roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thickness and fill tart mould.
- Refrigerate till you prepare the filling.
Strawberry, Pistachio and Brown Butter Filling
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon (50 g) unsalted and shelled pistachios
2 tablespoons corstarch
1/4 cup (50 g) natural cane sugar
1/4 cup (60 ml) whole-milk yogurt
1 pound (450g) strawberries, hulled and cut in half
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- In a small saucepan, cook the butter until the milk solids start to brown. Remove from heat, add the vanilla bean and its seeds and steep for 10 minutes. Remove vanilla pod after this time and reserve.
- In the food processor, pulse the pistachios, cornstarch and salt until they turn into a fine powder.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, yogurt, pistachio mixture, and brown butter.
- Arrange the strawberries on the tart dough and pour custard on top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden. Serve at room temperature.