Mar 30, 2013

Roasted strawberries with balsamic vinegar

 



Each year I feel a little bit sad to see the strawberries go.  Seeing them in the markets makes my mind buzz with a hundred ideas. I have an ever growing list of things to bake with them. But most times, the ideas remain just that. I end up just eating them by themselves- popping one into my mouth each time I pass by, until I have none to bake with.  Towards the end of the season I like to freeze a few for later. But this time I thought I’d do something different. So  I roasted them with a bit of sugar and balsamic vinegar before freezing. 







If strawberries are still around where you are, you might want to try this. The roasting really brings out the sweetness and the balsamic gives it a bit of a tang. Its wonderful! I might use it as a topping for a cake or just make roasted strawberry ice cream with it. 






I used this recipe. But you could adjust the sugar, like I did, according to the sweetness of the berries.

No comments: