Jul 29, 2010

Daring Bakers July '10

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first. ~Ernestine Ulmer






It’s that time again. Time for new challenges and new lessons. And time to enjoy the fruits of your labor. This month again, was a dessert, I had never tried before. I just love the excitement of making something for the first time, I get butterflies in my stomach wondering whether I’ll do a good job with it.


The July 2010 Daring Bakers challenge was hosted by Sunita of Sunita’s world – life and food. Sunita challenged everyone to make an ice-cream filled Swiss roll that’s then used to make a bombe with hot fudge. Her recipe is based on an ice cream cake recipe from Taste of Home.




All the components were new to me, but it was the Swiss roll that seemed to be the most difficult. I was pretty sure mine would crack, tear, rip or whatever else that was possible with a Swiss roll. But when I did a trial version, it went quite smoothly, way better than I expected. So for the final version I made it with a fudge filling.





I had been toying with the idea of making ice-cream for quite some time. But since I don’t have an ice-cream maker, I didn’t attempt it. This was too good an opportunity to pass, so I started looking around for nice flavors which I could make without a machine. With so many great flavors, it took me days to finally decide to go with David Lebovitz’s Caramel Ice-cream and Chocolate Sherbet. I thought the caramel would be quite rich so I wanted to pair it with a lighter ice-cream.

All the components tasted really good by themselves. The Swiss roll was quite nice and fluffy, I was worried of the eggy flavor and taste, but it wasn't obvious at all. I had also added a bit of vanilla to it since I wasn't doing a chocolate version. The Caramel ice-cream turned out to be my favourite! I had never imagined it would turn out so yumm.. Even the Sherbet was nice, but it turned a little icy. But all the flavors put together were really something!! It all came together very well. My friends had come over to have it, and they all loved it. It's definitely something I would make again. For sure!
Thank you Sunita for a great challenge :)



David Lebovitz's Salted Caramel Ice-cream and Chocolate Sherbet
The entire challenge recipe can be found on Sunita's blog.

11 comments:

Sonia said...

hey why don't u make it when i come. anyway i shall be visiting u soon....

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Looks lovely, you got this challenge done very well. Love the picture of the sponge and the flower.:)

Renata said...

Looks like you had a really great time with this challenge, I did too! I wasn't that successful with my swiss roll though, it turned out too thin. Your ice cream flavors sound delicious and your bombe is a success! Thanks for your lovely comment on my post!

Lisa said...

I love Davud Lebovitz's caramel ice cream, and the chocolate sherbert sounds delicious! Your swiss roll (perfection) and the resulting bombe turned out absolutely gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Your sponge roll looks fantastic - so light! What a delicious combination - chocolate and caramel! I sure your friends will expect this regularly!

Poonam said...

Thanks a lot! I had a super time with the challenge,,,
@sonia- im coming to pune on d weekend,,shall call you

linda said...

Great job on the challenge! Love the caramel ice cream you used, should try making it too one day, yum!

suma said...

Looks drool worthy and oh-so-inviting!!

Nachiketa said...

What a lovely completed challenge...
Daring Baker - Swiss Swirl Icecream Cake

Cheers,
The Variable, Crazy Over Desserts - Nachiketa
Catch me on facebook @ Crazy Over Desserts

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.