Nov 13, 2010

Chocolate Pistachio Biscotti

There was this quaint little coffee shop I used to visit a while back. And each time I ordered the same coffee with a nice crunchy biscotti to dunk in it. And every time i took a bite of it, I thought "I have got to learn how to make this!"




 Many different things inspire people to cook. Most often I try something at a restaurant (or a coffee shop in this instance) and immediately want to try it at home and see if I can replicate it. Sometimes I succeed. Sometimes my attempts leave a lot to be desired.




Luckily this was one of the good times (Considering they were just cookies I don't know why I was worried!).  I made chocolate biscotti with pistachios. In case they turned out well, I had planned to gift them to a friend.Well all I can say is, there are not enough left for me to send anymore.... next time sweety!



Recipe from Martha Stewart

Ingredients


  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for baking sheet
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for baking sheet
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup shelled pistachio nuts
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a baking sheet; set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs; beat until well combined, scraping down sides of bowl if necessary. Add flour mixture, and stir to form a stiff dough. Stir in pistachios and chocolate chips.
  3. Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet; form into a slightly flattened log, about 12 by 4 inches. Bake until slightly firm, about 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for about 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.
  4. On a cutting board, using a sharp serrated knife, cut biscotti diagonally into 1-inch-thick slices. Arrange biscotti, cut sides down, on baking sheet, and bake until crisp but still slightly soft in the center, about 8 minutes.



9 comments:

Bombay Foodie said...

Which coffee shop? I am yet to find good biscotti here.

Yours looks lovely!

Poonam said...

There is a lil cafe at contemporary arts in juhu. But hvnt been there in long so don't know if its still good!

Kalyan Karmakar said...

hey the biscottis almost made my forgot my love and longing for good, soft, chocolate chip cookies

gdsawn said...

yummy

Poonam said...

Thanks!! :)

Sanjeeta kk said...

Love the beautiful chocolaty color and flavors in this biscotti. First time to this beautiful place, hope to come here more often for these lovely treats. Best wishes.

Poonam said...

thank you so much for ur compliments sanjeeta! its great that you dropped in :)

Mommy said...

Hi I am a new baker just two cakes old... want to understand what do you mean by "Cool on a wire rack for about 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees." please explain. And I will be using a Convection MICROWAVE what will be the settings for it.

Poonam said...

Hi! Biscotti are baked twice. First at 350 degrees. Then you cool them for 5 mins while you turn the temp down to 300 degrees. Slice them and bake again. You can just use the wire rack of ur oven to cool them. And as long as your oven has temperature options, it'll pretty much work the same way.

Thank you so much for stopping by. Do let me know how they turn out. Send me a photo :)